Monday, February 18, 2008

Roast Beef

Today I made an eye of round roast. I used this recipe and followed the suggestions in the comments. I remembered to take out the roast out of the refrigerator early today so it was at room temperature when I started. The summary:
  • Grind 1 tsp black pepper corns & 1 tsp cumin seed in a mortar
  • Add 1/2 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 3/4 tsp salt & 1/8 tsp cayenne.
  • Sliver 1 clove garlic and stick them deep in the roast
  • Coat the roast with oil then with the spice mixture.
  • Brown the roast on all sides in a pan
  • Roast for ~45min at 275 until 115-120F
  • Remove from oven and turn heat to 500
  • Add 1" cubed potatoes and baby carrots, tossed with olive oil, to the pan
  • Return to oven, cook 10-15 min until 130F.
  • Remove roast, tent with foil, let stand at least 10 min
  • Return veggies to over for another 5-10 min to brown.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
The roast was a nice medium/medium rare. The carrots were good. Unfortunately the potatoes seemed very dry. I think this is because I used Yukon golds instead of red potatoes. I severed this with a fruit salad of pineapple, kiwi, clementine, and plum.
Tasty over all.

No comments: