Sunday, February 3, 2008

Beef with Broccoli Stir Fry

With the rest of the steak tips I decided to make a stir fry. I wanted to do something with broccoli, mushrooms, and oyster sauce. It turns out someone else had the same idea. TigersandStrawberries posted a recipe for Ocean Broccoli Beef the day after I made this. Hers sounds better than mine. Mine was okay, but could have been a bit more flavorful. Here's what I did.

  • 1/2 lb steak tips, sliced in to strips
Marinade in
  • 1 TB dark soy sauce
  • 2 TB oyster sauce
  • 1/4 tsp honey
  • 1 TB cornstarch
  • 3 TB shao xing wine
Heat some peanut oil to smoking in a wok. Add
  • 2 TB Black bean chili paste. Cook 30 sec.
then add the meat meat and brown for a minute. Then
  • Top with 4 large cloves of garlic, sliced.
Cook another min to brown the beef, then start stir frying for a minute. Add
  • 1 large onion, sliced. Stir fry 2 min.
  • 1 package sliced mushrooms. Stir fry 2 min.
  • Add remaining marinade and oil if necessary
  • Add 3 broccoli stems (sliced), cook 1 min
  • Add broccoli florets from 3 stalks. Stir to coat.
  • Add 2/3 c chicken broth.
  • Cook until broccoli is done
  • Top with 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil.
Served it with some jasmine rice. Tasty, though I think I'd enjoy it with more spice. Hubby found it unexceptional, however. Next time I'll try the linked recipe.

No comments: