Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Meatloaf

So I decided to try making meatloaf to use up some ground beef. (By my count this makes it pounds number 7 & 8.) I don't really have an opinion of meatloaf. As far as I can recall we only had it once when I was a kid, though I didn't like it then. The recipe I made is based of the one in the Joy of Cooking. Here it is:
  • 2 lb ground beef
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 3/4 c V8 or other tomato-vegetable juice
  • 1 TB stoneground mustard (dijion is fine)
  • 1 TB Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp Thyme
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 c farina (cream of wheat, bear mush, etc)
  • salt and pepper
The farina is because I was out of oatmeal, panko, breadcrumbs, and crackers. (It worked fine though.) Mix together and put in a loaf pan. Bake at 350F until it center reach 160F, about 60 to 75 minutes. Let stand 10 min, then slice and serve.

That how long it should take. I baked it for about 95 minutes and still only seemed to get to 155F. But it seemed done so I just took it out and it was fine. It was nice and moist. The hubby said it had good flavor, but I found it a bit bland. Served it with some turkey gravy I had in the freezer. It was decent; better with gravy than with ketchup.

I probably won't make this recipe again simply because I prefer more flavor in my food, but I might try a variation on it. Other meatloaf suggestions are welcome.

No comments: