Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Beef Paprika (Stew Meat #1)

Used the first package of stew meat last night. Had to cut down the pieces, but that's not a problem. I adapted this recipe from a chicken dish I usually make.

Brown 1lb stew meat.
Add 1.5 onions, thinly sliced
Add 3 cloves minced garlic
Add 2TB Paprika (I used Hungarian)
Cook until onions are tender.
Deglaze the pan with 1 cup chick broth
Add 28oz (1 can) tomatoes, chopped.
Simmer for a while. (I did 1.5 hours)
Stir in 1/3 c cream (or sour cream)
Season to taste with salt, thyme (1 tsp), pepper, Spanish paprika.

I served it over fusilli. The sauce was kind of thin for pasta. If I do it over pasta again, I'd reduce the broth and thicken the sauce. I had leftovers in a mug -- it worked well as a stew. Next time I might add more tomatoes and broth and serve it as a stew with dumplings. Over all, tasty.

No comments: